Stay still - Prayer!


Stay still  - Prayer 

So many things tug at the heart string.  How does one remain still in the midst of it?  What are we waiting for?  What do we need patience for?  "Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation!  He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved.  Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.

We can only stay still through prayer.  The importance of prayer
A friend reminded me of the importance of prayer.  How often do we pray?  What exactly is prayer?  When I think of prayer, I think of focusing, concentrating on the face of my beloved!  Who was it that needed to concentrate on the face of Jesus in order not to drown in the deep waters, the winds and the storm around him?  It was Peter, one of Jesus’ apostles.
Matthew 14:22-29 – The story of Jesus walking on the water and Peter being called to follow suit. 

I want to provide just a little information about the apostle Peter.   The Apostle Peter was known for being outspoken of the twelve apostles in Jesus’ ministry on earth.  He was one of the boldest witnesses for the faith.  According to research his beginning were certainly humble in origin.  He was born about 1 B.C. and died sometime around A.D. 67.  Peter’s original name was Simon.  It was Jesus who changed Peter’s name, meaning “rock” or literally Petra.  He was a Galilean fisherman and was the brother of Andrew.  The brothers came from the village of Bethsaida (John 1:43, 12:21)  Peter was also married.  He was a follower of John the Baptist.  And like the rest of us, Peter before his calling, was a sinful man.  In fact he was ashamed of his sinfulness in the presence of Jesus Christ. 
In Matthew 14:22-29 it portrayed the picture of what it takes in order to “walk on water”.   As soon as Peter was distracted by the world, he began to sink.  Prayer is what it took for Peter to continue walking on water.  Meaning, Peter’s focus needed to be constantly on the Lord.

The only way for us to know who God is, and to be able to focus on Him, is through staying in His word. John 1 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God.
It is so important to stay in God’s word so we can understand Him for who He is and the promises he continues to have for us on a daily basis.   2 Chronicles 16:11 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
I find that if I try to rely on my own wisdom I often become anxious and fear succumbs me.  But when I turn to the Lord, he calms my soul.   Philippians 4:6 says to be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
For those out there that are feeling the fear of the world, this prayer is for you, for your health, your prosperity, for an attitude filled with His Holiness and most of all a petition of love to you from our Father in Heaven!  Psalms 145:18 – The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on Him in truth.
Whatever the weakness, you only need strength enough to lay it at the cross.  When Christ left us, he provided the Holy Spirit as a comfort and as a counselor to direct us, even in prayer!
Romans 8:26 -  Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groaning too deep for words.  One other promise for today is found in James 5:16 – Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed! 
Shalom!  John 20:21  “Again Jesus said, ”Peace be with you!  As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Revealing the Heart!

Day 1 - New Year 2015

Day 2 - JOY